A refrigerator is one of the most important appliances in any household. It keeps our food fresh, safe, and healthy. But what happens when your refrigerator runs constantly? You will have high electricity bills, and puts an unnecessary strain on the appliance, which could result in a shorter lifespan. This article will explore the common causes and solutions of a refrigerator that runs constantly.
Why is my refrigerator running constantly?
There are several reasons why your refrigerator cycling too often, including the following:
The thermostat is responsible for regulating the temperature inside your refrigerator. A faulty thermostat can cause the compressor to run constantly.
Dirty Condenser Coils
Condenser coils are responsible for removing heat from the refrigerator. If you have dirty condenser coils, they can’t release heat efficiently, causing the compressor to work harder than it should.
An overstocked refrigerator can prevent air from circulating properly, making it difficult for the compressor to maintain the set temperature.
Damaged Door Gaskets
Door gaskets create a tight seal around the refrigerator door, preventing cold air from escaping. They can’t create a proper seal if they are damaged or dirty, causing the compressor to run constantly.
Faulty Evaporator Fan
The evaporator fan circulates cold air throughout the refrigerator. If it malfunctions, the refrigerator won’t cool properly, causing the compressor to run constantly.
The refrigerant is responsible for removing heat from the refrigerator. If there is a refrigerant leak, the compressor will work harder to maintain the set temperature, causing it to run constantly.
Temperature Sensor Malfunction
The temperature sensor tells the compressor when to turn on and off. If it malfunctions, the compressor may run constantly.
The compressor is the heart of your refrigerator, responsible for circulating refrigerant throughout the system. When you have a malfunctioning compressor, it can cause your refrigerator to run constantly. Common compressor issues include a seized compressor, a worn-out motor, or a faulty start relay.
What can I do if my refrigerator is running constantly?
Now that we’ve covered the common causes of a refrigerator running constantly, let’s discuss how to fix the issue.
Check the Thermostat
- If you suspect a faulty thermostat, turn it to the lowest setting and see if the compressor shuts off. If it doesn’t, then you may need to replace the thermostat.
Clean the Condenser Coils
- To clean your condenser coils, unplug the refrigerator, locate the coils at the back or underneath, and use a soft-bristled brush or vacuum to remove any dirt or debris.
Avoid Overstocking the Refrigerator
- To prevent an overstocked refrigerator from causing the compressor to run constantly, avoid overstocking your refrigerator and allow enough space between items for air to flow.
Replace Damaged Door Gaskets
- If your door gaskets are damaged or dirty, they can’t create a proper seal, causing the compressor to run constantly. To fix this, clean the gaskets regularly and replace them if damaged.
Replace the Faulty Evaporator Fan
- If your evaporator fan is faulty, replace it to ensure proper cold air circulation throughout the refrigerator.
Fix the Refrigerant Leak
- If you suspect a refrigerant leak, hire a professional to repair the leak and recharge the refrigerant.
Test the Temperature Sensor
Use a multimeter to test the temperature sensor for continuity. If it doesn’t have continuity, replace the sensor.
Replace the Compressor
- If you suspect a compressor issue, it’s best to call a professional technician for expert appliance repair service. They may recommend replacing the compressor if it’s beyond repair.
Contact Viking Appliance Repair Company for Professional Refrigerator Repair
If your refrigerator is constantly running and you’ve tried the troubleshooting tips mentioned in this article but the issue persists, it’s time to call a professional refrigerator repair company. Viking Appliance Repair Company has a team of experienced technicians who can diagnose and fix any refrigerator issue, especially regarding excessive energy usage and proper airflow. With years of industry experience, we promptly provide reliable and affordable repair services, including refrigerator maintenance.
Contact us today to schedule an appointment and get your refrigerator running efficiently again. We guarantee top-of-the-line Viking Built-In Refrigerator Repair, Viking Freestanding Refrigerator Repair, Viking Ice Maker Repair, and Viking Wine Cellars Repair!
Want to become a refrigerator pro? Check out our other blogs like “Refrigerator Troubleshooting” and “How to Repair a Refrigerator” for expert tips and DIY solutions to keep your fridge running smoothly.